2012-10-11

Remembering Clinton Reeves

I mostly knew Clint from our reunions. I grew up in complete awe of his talent as a musician. His traditional style of self-accompaniment on the blues harp is a lost art, described from time to time in "How-To-Play" pamphlets or books, but seldom ever practiced or heard.

For me as a young budding harp player, hearing him play for the first time blew my mind. As the years went by, I worked hard to imitate his style, but then another reunion would roll around, I'd get to listen to him play again, and I'd realize he was still a million times better at it than I could ever be.

He obviously took music seriously and he took the instrument seriously -- and yet there was nothing self-serious about his attitude. He was humble, gracious, and even though I was no more than a bumbling child, he always treated me respectfully as a fellow musician.

Perhaps most importantly of all, he had a true LOVE of music that radiated out when he played. You could see his joy in his smile, and when he played, he shared that joy with all of us.

Clinton Reeves' harp may be silent now, but I know his music will live on in our hearts forever. Take a moment of silence and perhaps you too might just be able to hear him once more as he celebrates joyfully up in Heaven with the angels, by the Grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Clint, I look forward to playing with you again some day. Until then, farewell.

 ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment