2012-08-17

Honey on the Napa Valley Wine Train

A panorama of the train at the station
I love the Wine Train and would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Napa.

My wife and I, in celebration of our three-year anniversary, took the Gourmet Express trip for lunch. The appetizers and drinks were first class. I had the beef tenderloin (which was delicious, juicy, and did not require the use of a knife) and my wife had the salmon with shrimp risotto (also very good, but I still liked mine better). I could find nothing to critique about the food or the excellent service.

A truly great meal is tough enough to pull off in a normal restaurant with a fully-appointed kitchen, so the fact that the whole thing was executed aboard a train puts it over the top. We were lucky to have a beautiful summer's day with the scenery at its best. As a 30-year-old, I got a kick out of pretending I'd gone back in time to the good old days, when travel was actually pleasant and fun. I kept thinking of the Johnny Cash song:
I bet there's rich folks eatin'
in a fancy dining car
They're probably drinkin' coffee
and smokin' big cigars
No cigars, of course, but everything else a prisoner might envy. In sum: world class restaurant on fun, scenic train ride; a totally unique experience; and next time we're in Napa, I hope we can go again, to see if we like it even better at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment